Saturday, July 23, 2022

a path mostly untrodden...

An apt cartoon, what I'm not having for lunch, and in the "One man with a..." department...

The idea of a circumnavigation only appeals if it's a connected series of places I actually want to visit. Off hand, I can think of any number of places that I'm interested in seeing and experiencing so, the idea sorta/kinda makes sense.

Now, what would make the task more appealing is if one could avoid places I don't want to go. This is a bit more difficult as most milk run cruising locations are part and parcel of places I don't have much interest in. Which is a roundabout way of saying that avoiding the riff-raff could be somewhat problematic.

I suspect, the easiest way to avoid milk run locations is to take a more, shall we say, jaundiced view of most of the existing cruising advice. As I've always had issues with following the herd this is right up my alley.

The downside is that going your own way requires having to actually doing your homework. But, hey, planning and research can be pretty entertaining if your bent leans that way.

So far, so good.

Here's something even better! If you're researching and planning your own route you can leave out all the stuff you hate.

Like marinas! I really hate marinas and the idea of a marina-free circumnavigation makes me giddy with anticipation. We could call it the 2024 Marina Avoidance Tour and what a great T-shirt that would make.

So, to recap, a lazy man's frugal circumnavigation to interesting places while avoiding all the popular cruising locations with the express purpose of not staying in a marina while only anchoring is pretty much what I'm talking about.

I'm pretty sure that I'd have to harness my inner Phileas Fogg to do it but I'm sure it's doable.

I've got some homework to do...

Listening to a Strokes cover

So it goes...