Sunday, May 22, 2022

Not for the linear polyurethane fan boys...

Just another day in the fossil fuel death spiral, an added advantage, and in the "As far from sporting as you can get" department...

When it comes to boat paint I'm a big fan of Rust-oleum Topside because it does the job and is cheap at $20.99 a quart. That said, not too long ago I used to pay right around $10 bucks a quart. 

I also use Rust-oleum 'aluminum' protective enamel for the hull and it only costs $12.99 a quart. It's an odd paint being mostly aluminum but a single test coat I put on in 2017 (just after Hurricane Maria) has held up really well. Next haul out I'll be doing two coats which will only take a gallon and cost less than $50 bucks. When you consider that a single quart of one part polyurethane these days goes for $50 or more that's a huge savings. The only downside is that a lot of folks think I have an aluminum boat.

I keep meaning to compare and test the Rust-oleum Protective Enamel in white to the white Rust-oleum Topside as it's less than $12 dollars and seems quite similar to the "marine" version. 

As I'm not a fan of linear polyurethane silliness for cruising boats I won't bother to point out what AwlGrip and reasonable facsimiles cost.

Listening to some variations on a theme songs

So it goes...