Thursday, December 30, 2021

another cool design...

 Regarding the high cost of hamburger, yet another COVID cure you may want to avoid, and in the "Remind me to never eat out in Ohio" department...

I'll go on record and say that I've always liked Dudley Dix designs. Partly because he actually understands boat building (which is surprisingly rare in designers) and partly because, every once in a while he surprises me.

Like this design.


 

 

It's a design that fills a need/niche and it does so incredibly well. What impresses me the most is that it is just the sort of design most designers would avoid like the plague as being just too different.

Face it, designers are seldom rewarded for coming up with boats that do not fall into the same old same vein.

As soon as I came across this design I realized that this was a boat that would work just as well in the day charter business down here in the Caribbean as well as opening up a market that is now mostly cattlemarans and and power boats doing the "three hour tour" two step.

The design could also be used for various pursuits outside the day charter trade as its open form allows it to be just about anything you'd want to do. For example as someone who has been part of the Caribbean film community for longer than I care to admit the first thing I thought of when I saw this design is what a great camera boat it would make with the added advantage of when not working on films or commercials it could still earn it's keep fishing, day charter, or being a dive boat between gigs.

I keep hearing about "working sail" making a comeback but Fast Eddy is the sort of working sail that makes real sense where niche markets and needs are the design brief.

While I've never been a big fan of steel or alloy boat building the lapstrake method used on Fast Eddy makes all kinds of sense and has me rethinking aluminum.

You can find more about Fast Eddy on the Dix website and blog which is well worth checking out.

Listening to Attic Lights

So it goes...