Saturday, October 16, 2021

on the evolutionary conundrum of boat gear design...

On the subject of where money for children in need goes, some Beatles stuff I'm really looking forward to, and in the "a slab of misery on wheels" department...

The other day it came to me that what "So It Goes" needed  were a few more cleats or suchlike to take care of a couple of extra halyards and the most obvious answer was to add a couple of pinrails. As it happens pinrails actually make all kinds of sense.

The problem, for me at least, is that most folks think of pinrails as being some varnished teak bits on the shrouds. You know, sort, leaky tiki old school traditional sort of stuff.

But, I asked myself, why haven't pinrails evolved into the current century? For that matter why hasn't someone designed and built an evolved tradical gaff rig?

Anyone seen any cool evolved pinrails? I'd love to see some pictures.

Listening to fifty Paul Simon covers

So it goes...