Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Another thing to add to my no-longer-available list...

New York ship wrecks, something on the downside of big fucking boats and in the "Eric Clapton should take note" department... 

Perusing West Marine looking for a couple of inexpensive cleats I noticed that the type I was looking for no longer seemed to be available. Since I could not find what I wanted there I checked out Defender who also seemed not to have the sort of cleat I was looking for. 

You know the sort that looks like this...

Which, for me at least, is my go to cleat for sheets, halyards, and various other rigging needs. They do the job just as well as the more expensive sort and are fairly cheap albeit more costly than they should be. 

That said, while looking at what was on offer from West/Defender I was actually shocked at just how silly expensive a lot of cleats have become.

Of course, there's no reason you can't build a reasonable facsimile of this sort of cleat out of scrap wood which has a long history as a material to make cleats from.

If anyone out there knows a source in the US of A for this sort of jam cleat please drop me a line and let me know who they might be.

Listening to a couple of Prince covers

So it goes...