Wednesday, May 12, 2021

A question from a reader...

An industry that kills people which might surprise you, how stupid people will believe stupid things, and in the "One state down forty-nine to go" department...

A variety of readers have asked me my opinion on various boats. So, because I can't think of anything else to write today  I'll run a few of the designs and let you know what I think,

First up is the Irwin 28 which I've had a couple of readers ask about. For starters, I'll admit to having owned an Irwin 28 and, in general, it's a pretty nice boat. Nothing spectacular but a boat that sails well and has a pretty good build. I was attracted by the design because the centerboard version only draws three feet and I thought it would do well with a junk rig.


 

That said, you don't see a lot of small (30-foot and under) Irwin's cruising in the Caribbean. Which considering they're capable is somewhat surprising. We knew a couple in St Thomas who had successfully done a circumnavigation on an outboard powered Irwin 28 with no issues and had no plans to trade up for a bigger or different boat. Which, for me at least, speaks volumes about a boat.

A quick look at Irwin 28's for sale shows the average asking price is hovering around $5K. Which, when you think about it, is not bad for a circumnavigation capable design.

Listening to Teke Teke

So it goes...