Tuesday, March 02, 2021

A jacket that caught my interest...

A vaccination of note, what you need to know about fracking, and a very good point being made...

As someone who used to design mountaineering gear I generally find what passes for good sailing gear of the wearable sort fairly lacking. Most of what's available is sorely lacking in general utility and costs a lot more than it should.

Which is to say that when some company or seller of goods sends me an email touting something new of the wearable sort I don't tend to sit up and take notice.

Today was a little different as Neptonics, a purveyor of excellent bespoke spearfishing gear, sent out an email for a jacket they were now selling. Which looks like this...


It caught my attention. First off, while not exactly cutting edge design (Hey it's really just a hoodie), it's made of neoprene which I've long thought should be the material of choice where foul-weather gear is concerned as opposed to breathable fabrics that don't actually breath, don't stay waterproof, and are too restrictive to do the needful work involved in sailing.

In case you haven't noticed I'm seriously opinionated on the subject. Deal with it.

So, anyway, the jacket in question is 2mm neoprene, cut big so you can wear it over stuff, and stretchy so you can actually sail while using it. Better yet as neoprene is insulating you don't wind up with an outer-layer that condenses when it's cold so no need for a breathable fabric to let out the copious humidity.

Of course, being Mr Cheapseats and super picky about the gear I use, I'm more inclined to make my own foul-weather gear but if I didn't I'd be all over this jacket for my go to jacket when things are wet.

That said, next time Neptonics has a sale I'll more than likely be checking to see if this jacket is on sale in my size. Need I say more?

Listening to a bunch of better than usual covers

So it goes...