Wednesday, August 01, 2012

a little hope...

Some dire words about living through a major contraction, Liz Clark introduces us to Ryan Levinson, and some important words about the US Postal System which is an incredible lifeline/resource for cruisers...

I try and listen to "Pops" Staples sing "Hope in a Hopeless World" whenever I can because it keeps me centered and, for want of a better word, gives me hope. Plus, whenever Mavis comes in on the background I get this sonic tingle...

Something else that gives me some hope is this guy doing his thing over at the Vermont Sail Freight Project...


Which is based around one of Dave Z's Trilo designs and seems to make a lot of sense in a world that is going to be doing the contraction two-step whether we want it to or not.

Unlike most of the hi-tech-reinventing-the-wheel-bring-back-commercial-sail silliness I keep reading about, this project starts on a practical level and keeps it there... The question if it will work or not all depends but, as the world is about to get smaller, I'd hazard a guess that it has possibilities.

I've actually been very tempted to build a cross between Dave Z's T32 Luna and the T32 Cargo as a test bed/ bareboat charter experiment but so far have not got around to getting past the "what if" thought process so have not exactly researched the big question if there is a market for a bareboat of this ilk...

Listening to Ezra Furman & the Harpoons (another song I try and listen to every day)

So it goes...