Thursday, September 29, 2011

A thought or two on our PFD decision...

More on the bogus Mr Zip crisis, why cops should be filmed, and an all too rare ray of hope...

We just got some new PFD's  and the choice to go back to foam over inflatable for our personal use was not an easy decision, but now that I actually have the new PFD's on board I'm reassured that it was the right decision.


Part of that decision was based on seeing various fabric glue bonds break down in the tropical climate, part on the catastrophic failure of our last inflatable vests when I inspected them and realized that for some time we had been wearing and depending on gear that while looking perfect would not hold air, and lastly on the fact that the upsurge in kayaking and kayak fishing has evolved foam PFD's to a point where they are now competitive with inflatables in terms of comfort and function.

While I have been known to seriously shave pennies from time to time, one area aboard "So It Goes" that money is never a consideration is on safety gear... Though, I will admit that the fact that foam life jackets are quite a bit cheaper is not an unappreciated bonus.

While the new PFD is already pretty close to what is needful for day to day use on a sailboat, I'll be doing just a little tweaking as I outfit it for passage making duties... So many cool bits of safety gear these days the trick is not to go nuts packing stuff on.

For a start I know I will be getting one of these for each PFD...



Listening to Warren Zevon

So it goes...